Thursday, May 24, 2012

LANGSTON HUGHES


Out of all the poems I like the poem “I too” the best. I did a tiny bit of research and when he wrote this, Blacks were still being discriminated against. All he is doing is speaking his mind in this poem. In the first line when it says “I too, sing America” (p. 594). Here he argues that he is just as American as anyone else.
Later in the poem he bluntly describes the disrespect from the master to his servant by sending him away when visitors come. What the servant does after is what surprises me. “I laugh” (p. 594). He finds this funny?! It doesn’t faze him; he also says he “grows stronger.” Here, no matter what pain he goes through he will not let it kill his spirit.
After he shows bravery when he says “tomorrow … nobody’ll say to me eat in the kitchen.” Here he understands that his body can be overtaken BUT his mind can’t be conquered.
Overall this poem “I, Too” shouts for equality and freedom. The message is obvious blacks need to have the same freedoms as whites, and also to take a stand when needed. More importantly the title “I, Too” is great because, it implies that more than one race make up the face of America and not only whites. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment