Sunday, May 13, 2012

SONG OF SONGS


 
“Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth.
 You love is more delightful than wine;
delicate is the fragrance of your perfume,
 your name is an oil poured out,
 and that is why the maidens love you.”
 
This caught my eye from the very beginning. I assumed that is would be boring and hard to understand because it was from the bible. But this was different, nothing like anything I have read in the bible. The Song of Songs is a very large love poem about a man and a woman. I liked it a lot I feel like it emphasizes the sanctity of marriage and that it is important. In the first chapter the insecure bride talking about her groom to be and how she is super excited to meet him. She is insecure because the “sun has burnt her” (p.281) which means she’s black and she’s hoping that he won’t mind. I think it is very cute because she only says good things about her lover that she will belong to him only. They then meet and her groom can do nothing but compliment her which makes me smile. Every girl hopes and dreams to find a guy that accepts her and that thinks she is beautiful no matter what. I feel like this set of scripture is trying to teach people in marriages or relationships to give their spouse the attention he or she needs. And that encouragement and praise, not criticism, are vital to a successful relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment