Thursday, May 24, 2012

A SHOCKING STORY


 
I could do nothing but gasp in awh by the time I finished this story. I find it horrifying that two white men would be so racist enough to kill a 14 year old boy. Why did they do this? This 14 year old boy that goes by the name of Bobo hit on one of their wives as a dare. All he said was “how about a date baby?”(p.605) The two men found this reason to be good enough to beat and kill Emmett Till. This case was blown way out of proportion. It did not have to get to the point of killing the poor black boy. What disgusts me even more is that the two men that killed the boy were not persecuted.
                 The Emmett Till death is but a straw in a haystack of racial crimes. Still today racism goes on. I have witnessed it in my own life as in lives of others. My mom is Latina and she does have an accent but she speaks English probably better than most Americans. Well, we went to the mall one day to buy some school clothes. We were walking around the store and I found some shoes I like and my mom brought them up to the counter with me by her side. Immediately the lady helping us looks at me and asks if I would like to translate for my mother. My mom was furious! She was like “excuse me I can speak English just fine”. Then the young lady gave my mother attitude by rolling her eyes and mumbling things under her breath. Immediately my mom grabbed my hand and we walked out of the store. It really sickens me seeing how many Americans put people into stereotypes without giving them a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment